The Center for Education and Leadership will remain closed through March 2. The museum, theatre and Petersen House remain open. The phone system for Ford's Theatre Society is currently down due to a maintenance issue.
Ford’s Theatre Internships
The Ford’s Theatre Intern Program offers challenging and diverse experiences related to its unique mission as a professional theatre, historic site, world-class museum and learning center. Qualified college students, graduates and career-changing professionals who are actively pursuing careers in related fields are welcomed in the following areas (subject to availability):
- Artistic Programming
- Finance and Administration
- Information Technology
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Costume Design (not available in summer)
- Lighting Design (not available in summer)
- Stage Management (not available in summer)
Opportunities at Ford’s Theatre
Ford’s Theatre internships are designed to:
- Bridge the gap between collegiate work and professional life by working with some of the best in the business in a challenging, diverse atmosphere.
- Help build professional networks with relationships initiated during the internship.
- Broaden the intern’s knowledge base and understanding of professional theatre and historical museums through discussions and work with Ford’s Theatre staff, guest artists, and other members of the community.
In order to facilitate the professional development and educational nature of Ford’s Theatre Internships the following features may be provided as part of the internship program:
Lincoln Lectures are opportunities for interns to receive a complete understanding of the operations of Ford’s Theatre outside of their department. Lincoln Lectures provide exposure to the varied skills that are required to operate a professional theatre and historical site. Many lectures are round table discussions that include senior staff, the Director, guest artists and others. In these lectures, interns may be able learn about a variety of career paths and perspectives on not-for-profit arts organizations while gaining insight into the inner workings of Ford’s Theatre. Other Lectures may provide the opportunity for career development through work on interview preparation, résumé and cover letter writing, and skill building.
To further enhance the intern experience, every intern may be provided with the opportunity to shadow in other departments. These shadowing opportunities provide a direct look into the daily operations of each department, no matter the primary internship. This means that a Development intern could have the ability to sit-in with Production for a day and experience a tech rehearsal and possibly be a part of Production planning meetings. Each shadowing opportunity may help an intern explore their interests while also providing a complete picture of Ford’s Theatre.
Benefits for a Ford’s Theatre Intern
School credit may be offered, depending on the internship. Opportunities will be made available for interns to view and explore all that Ford’s Theatre has to offer. Staff guided tours would lead interns through the historic theatre as well as backstage and through the museums and galleries. Interns may be provided opportunities to attend select performances at Ford’s Theatre, which could include special presentations and Dress Rehearsals.
Start dates and internship lengths may vary by department. Most interns are part-time and may be expected to work 15-25 hours a week. Applications for internships are accepted on a rolling basis but may not be reviewed until two months before the start of a requested internship. Typical internships run as follows:
- Yearly (September to August)
- Seasonal (September to May)
- Fall (September to December)
- Winter/Spring (January to May)
- Summer (June to August)
To apply for a Ford’s Theatre internship, please email all documents. Applications must include:
- Ford’s Theatre Internship Application Form
- Cover Letter
- Any documents specifically requested in the descriptions below in the descriptions below
We are no longer accepting applications for Winter/Spring 2015. Check back later for information regarding 2015 Summer Internships.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.